Taking Headshots for the Theatre Profile
My daughter recently asked me to adopt headshot photos of her so she could get a lead role with the local theatre company. Naturally I obliged, and after ensuring that my camera battery was fully charged using https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Olympus-BLN-1-Charger/dp/B01J4X8866, I set about starting a makeshift studio within the garage. It was the easy part. I needed the entranceway closed, and so i was in total charge of the lighting.
Secondly, I setup my backdrop, my lighting, as well as a stool on her behalf to sit on. Photographing people will not be my interest or forte, nonetheless I had to assist my daughter. So, with my camera create a significant distance away on its tripod, zoom lens through to increase depth of field, we set about taking some pictures. I expected it for taking maybe one hour. An hour. If only. Every shot I took wasn’t sufficient. Neither folks were happy, there was some I liked, but she didn’t, some she liked however i didn’t, we merely couldn’t obtain it right or an agreement between us. That’s the difficulty with two fussy people. I used changing the lighting, changing the angle I had been shooting from, nothing really made her image stick out. So over to the web I go, and to get advice from your friend who does this for any living. The main one simple suggestion she made, made all the difference… The Way I had my daughter put in place was her located on a stool, sitting upright.
My good friend informed me that instantly, we might be fighting a losing battle. How right she was! The suggestion she made was simple, I can’t believe I didn’t think of it myself. Her suggestion was this… As opposed to sitting her upright within a stool, attempting to force an uncomfortable and unnatural position and pose, support the stool and just lean dexnpky67 it. The very last image might be a headshot, so we won’t be seeing any part of her body, or even the angle it is actually at. But exactly what a difference it made. Immediately, she felt more comfortable. Immediately, she felt more natural, and also the next combination of shots came out a pleasure.
So yes, the shoot must have taken way under an hour, rather than four it did take. After we agreed about the shot, I cropped it somewhat, did some post processing so we shot away and off to your local Walgreens to obtain it printed out (she had left everything til the final minute, so Walgreens was our only option at this stage). It needed to be on 8 x 10 which is fine, however when the norm would be to simply staple the photo to her resume, it looks a bit poor. But that’s the way that they need it. Anyway, she was happy, I had been relieved and she went to her audition the next day. Few days later she was recalled to get a further audition. The subsequent week she was offered the lead. It was all worth the cost. Because of my trusty camera, some expert help, plus a fully charged battery thanks to a BLN-1 Charger, everything ended up being fine.